9.30.2004

Here's the letter I sent to the Alliance for Retired Americans asking for endorsement. I think it covers my ideas pretty well:


Alliance for Retired Americans
Department of Government and Political Affairs
888 16th Street, NW, Suite 520
Washington, DC 20006


To Whom It May Concern,

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss my views regarding retirees’ issues for the upcoming election. I feel that the issues you detailed in your questionnaire are some of the most pressing domestic issues in America today.

They touch upon all American life, not just retirees. The skyrocketing costs of healthcare are not only bankrupting seniors, but contributing to job losses and hardship for all American families.

I consider controlling the spiraling costs of Healthcare to be the most important issue in this election cycle. I feel that Medicare should be empowered to negotiate for healthcare costs across the board, and for all Americans, not just for drug prices, and not just for seniors, the indigent and the poor.

When Medicare negotiates with current providers for all health services, they will be doing so from a standpoint of providing for all Americans, offering businesses and individuals to buy into their programs based on ability to pay. Only when Medicare leverages this huge buying power, will we truly get the best of our healthcare dollar.

My opponent does not believe that Medicare should have this power. He has argued that competition alone should result in lower prices. He has also stated that the Medicare Prescription Drug and Modernization Act of 2003 was “without question, the most significant legislative accomplishment of 2003.” We have seen that this a failure of a law has only resulted in higher drug costs for seniors.

It is in this spirit that I would like to request the endorsement of the Alliance for Retired Americans in the race for Wisconsin’s 6th Congressional Seat.

I can be reached for comment or questions at 920.203.6883. My email is jef@jef4wi.com.

Thank you,



Jef Hall
Democrat for Congress – Wisconsin’s 6th District

No comments: