1.27.2005

Esslinger on Racism....

One of the many reasons I do not support his candidacy for Oshkosh Mayor.

http://www.wordexchange.net/eyeonoshkosh/racism.htm

Politically Correct Racism
(editorial submitted by Paul Esslinger, Feb. 03, 2003)

The following letter I’m sure will upset some people (liberals), but I wanted to touch on something that has been in the news lately, affirmative action, which I call politically correct racism. I’m sure I’ll even be labeled a racist, but that’s usually what happens when liberals don’t like what you say, it just defaults to “you’re a racist.”

I watched with interest the latest edition of Eye on Oshkosh, with Chancellor Wells as the guest. I was very pleased with what the Chancellor had said about the involvement of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh in regards to the Meritor/AxelTech situation. It is obvious the Chancellor is very concerned about the workers, the potential losses of employment for the City of Oshkosh and, of course, the university. Therefore, the majority of the show (about 25 minutes of the 30 minutes) was great.

Now I have had the great pleasure to meet Chancellor Wells. He has a great many attributes: He is intelligent, he takes his job very seriously, and has not only opened the doors of the University to the community, but has opened the doors to his office directly. He also realizes that the City of Oshkosh and the university need to work hand in hand with many issues like the possible development of the riverfront near the university.

The problem I had with the Chancellor was the answer he gave when asked about why he had a problem with the Bush Administration’s lawsuit with the University of Michigan in regards to their affirmative action policy. I think the Chancellor has fallen into the same trap many have fallen into, which is we need to give minorities special treatment to get them ahead in life.
Now I thought that allowing someone to have an advantage because of the color of his or her skin, or sex was racism and sexism, isn’t it? Then why do we allow minorities to have preferential treatment when applying for jobs or college?

I’m sure the liberals are going to say, “it’s because they have an unfair advantage growing up, and that they don’t have access to good schools, etc., etc., etc.” This argument is nonsense. The business and political world have several minorities doing a great job, and not because of some ridiculous affirmative action policy, or because of some other tax-loving government program.
In Oshkosh alone we have several minorities in prominent positions, or have served in prominent positions (Eileen Connely-Keesler: Executive Director or the Oshkosh Community Foundation, Ron Montgomery: former Winnebago County Board Supervisor, Carla Craig: former Chair of the Oshkosh Chamber Board of Directors, Melanie Bloechl: former Mayor of Oshkosh, Jane Van De Hey: Winnebago County Executive) The list goes on, but I think you get the point. I’m sure these people got where they are/were because they worked their butts off, and didn’t ask for any special help.

In Wisconsin we now have a minority as the Attorney General, Peg Lautenschlager, and nationally we have several minorities in the Bush Administration.

With the global economy we have in the world, and the competition that the U.S. has, we cannot afford to ask, “what color skin do you have, or what sex are you” when applying for a job, or applying for college. Other industrialized countries don’t ask what color skin they have, or what sex they are, they find out whose the most qualified, and put them in the position.
There are some intelligent minorities that realize that affirmative is really an insult. I remember one African American on a talk show who said, and I’ll paraphrase; by having affirmative action, you’re telling me that I’m too stupid to get ahead in the world so you need to give me an advantage because of my skin color. I’ve been hearing other minorities saying the same thing.
Why can’t we just put everybody on the same playing field, and don’t give ANYONE any advantages? You should win by being the best at what you do, not because of your skin color, or sex.

If affirmative action is supposed to make things equal, then I guess some people will just be a little more equal than others are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.