1.05.2005

Not to toot my own horn, but....

When I got on the ballot, I needed 1,000 valid signatures. At the time I had a full-time job and very few political supporters.

I turned in 1,250 signatures, of which about 1,150 were deemed valid.

How did I do it - hard work. Everywhere I went, I carried a clipboard. When I went to lunch from work, I went to places where there would be a crowd. I asked strangers on the street. I knocked on doors without lists as to whether they were Dems or not. I went to festivals and bars and asked random people.

Of the signatures I turned in, I got over 850 of them myself. I personally went through all my sheets and checked for validity, numbered, counted and sorted them myself. I knew exactly how many there were.

Why do I bring this up?

Underheim Falls Short on Nomination Signatures for DPI Race
http://wispolitics.com/index.iml?Article=29172

Now, remember that Underheim had most of the last month off of work, and plenty of time to get signatures. Plus, as an incumbent Member of the Assembly he has a supporter network. Also, as a candidate for statewide office, he can gather signatures from any Wisconsin Resident.

Also, according to Underheim: he was "recruited" to run after his November re-election but would only say the request came from "a Republican, and people with a clear Republican identification."

And, "When I talked to people this time, there was an indication that I wouldn't be out there by myself this time", he said. "That makes me a viable candidate, which I was not last time. A viable candidate can put serious issues on the table and force discussion of them. And I'm going to do it."

http://www.wisinfo.com/northwestern/news/local/stories/local_19300748.shtml

Gregg Underheim, not supported by over half of Oshkosh, not supported by 2,001 people statewide.

Or, was he just not willing to do the work of getting on the ballot? Yet he thinks he can work for us?

p.s. When I was out getting signatures everywhere, very often Gordon Hintz was standing right next to me.

No comments: