12.20.2005

Why County Government Matters (part 3)

Letter to the Northwestern today:

County should explain DARE cut to students

I am writing this letter in regards to some unfortunate news I have received recently. It appears that the Winnebago County Board has decided to cut funding
for the DARE Program. This program was offered to fifth- grade students in
Oshkosh, Omro, Winneconne, Neenah and Menasha. The DARE Program began in 1989 and was designed to help students resist drugs, alcohol and violence by making healthy and wise decisions.


As a fifth-grade teacher at Omro Elementary School, I have seen first-hand the positive influence this program has had upon my students. I truly believe that our communities are stronger and better when our young adults have the ability to make positive and informed decisions.

When my students were told that this program was to be cut, the first question they asked was, "Why?" I did not have an answer. Perhaps the County Board is better equipped to handle that question.

My 10- and 11-year-old students may not fully understand the need for budget cuts, but they understand peer pressure and tough decisions they are faced with all too well.

Jessica Jaeger Omro

No comments: