5.15.2006

Lennon not seeking re-election

Winnebago County DA will not seek re-election

Winnebago County Dist. Atty. Bill Lennon announced Monday afternoon that he does not plan to run for re-election.

"I came to this job with the goal of restoring honesty and integrity to the district attorney's office," Lennon said in a news release. "I believe I have achieved that goal and will look back at my time in office as one of my proudest accomplishments."

Lennon cited his defeat in April in the race for Winnebago County Circuit Court judge as part of his motivation for leaving public office. Lennon was defeated by Karen Seifert for the Branch 4 seat.

"I feel it is time to look to new opportunities for me and my family," Lennon said.

Lennon thanked his supporters for help, and wished luck to the candidates who will run for district attorney this fall. Lennon urged candidates to refrain from "the types of personal attacks that marred (his) campaign for district attorney against Joe Paulus and E.J. Jelinski."

Lennon was elected district attorney in 2002 and re-elected in 2004.


Give him credit where it is due - it is classy of him to announce well before it is time to take out nomination papers. It will give people who want to run a chance to think it over.

No comments: