6.26.2006

Ben Stein's Money Is Where His Mouth Is

For those that do not know, before he ever said "Beuller? Beuller?" Ben Stein was an economist, speachwriter for Nixon and remains unapologetically Republican.

That said, in a column today writes this open letter to Henry (not Robert) Paulson:

May I respectfully suggest that in this environment, ending the estate tax is not a major sensible priority? May I suggest that having the lowest taxes in 65 years on high-income taxpayers is not really as prudent as it might be if we were not running stupendous deficits, with far worse in the future?

I know you are a Republican, and so am I. Now and then, scornful fellow Republicans ask me what kind of Republican I am, since I'm for higher taxes on the rich. I tell them that I am an Eisenhower Republican, the kind who wants to leave a healthier America to posterity. That includes an economy not headed for the status of a banana republic's economy.

No comments: