6.21.2005

The Way Things Look From Abroad....

I don't know if any of you know this, but I was an exchange student - I lived for a year in Ghent, Belgium (thanks Rotary!). I recently received the following email from my Host-Father, asking some questions, I have excerpted it below:

----

While sitting in the plane last Saturday, I read the International Herald Tribune of 18-19th June and read a small news clip as follows:

Quote

MADISON, Wisconsin: The Wisconsin Assembly has approved a ban on the so-called morning-after pill on state college campuses, a restriction that would be the first in the United States if approved. (AP)"

Unquote.

Jef, what is happening in Wisconsin? Do your people want unwanted pregnancies and possible abortions as a consequence...

You know, the Belgian Government is making access to the morning after pill as easy as possible for the girls and women in need... We, as far as I know, don't have that culture yet of putting condoms , etc discretely for sale at school level. But here they only have to go to the pharmacist.

Jef, what is the rational behind this decision: is it a return of fundamentalism or is there a more pragmatic reason?

-----

As I mentioned when I originally posted the story... Is this what Wisconsin wants to be first in the nation/world on?

How will these moves by the legislature look to outside interests looking to move their families or their businesses here?

Some background, my host-Father is an international agriculture consultant, his wife a published historian and volunteer for Catholic charities and causes. They are not considered left-wing in any matter. They are reasonable people.

The sort of people that should read about Wisconsin in the International Herald-Tribune and think, "that is a place I'd like to visit." Not the people we should be chasing away.

No comments: