1.27.2008

Why 'Reaching Across the Aisle' Doesn't Work

Charles Pierce in Media Matters/Altercation:

Take the list of Republican congresscritters, House and Senate. Make me a list of 10 of them with whom you think you can work to achieve anything close to the progressive goals you have said you want to achieve. Give me an honest run, and I guarantee you that you can't do it. You may get "something done" but it's not going to have anything to do with anything resembling the values of the party you seek to represent. This is a party that has to be forcibly disenthralled from its lunatic base.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think its unfair to say there are no Republicans to help us acheive progressive goals. On issues like climate change (McCain), anti-torture (McCain, Lindsey Graham), clean government (McCain) and increase in foreign humanitarian aid (any number of conservative Christians) there are Republicans who will side with us on a particular issue. We can't expect them to agree with us on everything but they can be helpful.

Assuming the other side has nothing in common with us is a recipe for disaster and polarization, something that is antithetical to passing quality legislation.

(Oh and I don't mean to pump up McCain, I'm just thinking off the top of my head)